Visit to ACD's Grave

On the 28th I finally got round to doing something I should have done some time ago. I made a trip to Arthur Conan Doyle's final resting place.

I was naturally familiar with the gravestone as you can easily Google countless images of it. Nonetheless I felt I was failing as a Sherlockian (not to mention failing as a three-time biographer of ACD) by not visiting in person.

It was a rather bleak day with strong wind and fine rain. It didn't take long to find the grave.


I was also aware from Google photos that visitors to the grave have been in the habit of leaving tokens. The most common token appears to have been a pipe. On this visit I noticed that the more recent devotees have been in attendance.


All this aside I feel much better now I've actually been.




Written by Alistair Duncan Buy my books here

UK US

Comments

Popular Posts