Book review - The Sherlock Holmes Miscellany

This wonderful book by Roger Johnson and Jean Upton is many things at once. To the Sherlockian beginner this book is an excellent introduction to all aspects of the Sherlockian/Holmesian world; to the more seasoned Sherlockian it is an indispensable all-in-one guide.


The book looks at the origin of Holmes, the illustrations (all artists, not just Sidney Paget), the stage plays, the radio plays, TV and film, music, locations and much much more. You may well encounter things that you already know but you will also find plenty that you don't. Throughout, the book goes into just the right amount of detail without spending too long on any one area.

The authors are not shy in recommending the works of others. I won't deny that I was gratified to see my book "Close to Holmes" listed as one of the best topographical guides to Holmes' London (but I assure you that this has not influenced my mark). The book is simply excellent.

Sorry but I simply cannot fault it. 5 pips.


For something similar please look at my review of the book Amazing & Extraordinary Facts: Sherlock Holmes by Nick Utechin 


Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more! This book is brilliant - I'm a slow reader, and put this down in only two days. I simply couldn't put it down because evn though I knew most of it, it was still so clear and so beautifully bound (the dust cover is lovely!) that I loved every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts