Movie thoughts

Friends and colleagues often ask me what I think of the imminent Sherlock Holmes film from Guy Ritchie. I therefore think it worth spending a little time writing down what I think for the benefit (or not) of all out there.

Firstly I have to admit that all my opinions are based purely on the interviews I have read and the two (slightly) different trailers so I am fully prepared to state that my views may alter after seeing the finished article.

But, based on what I do know.....

I am in two minds over this film. On the negative side I have issues with the casting - I think Downey Jnr is miscast and I believe he has been chosen purely because of the high-profile he has gained through his Iron Man film. He is the man of the moment who will guarantee ticket sales. It justifies his casting from a marketing perspective but not from the perspective of authenticity.

I also have issues with the apparently (judging from trailer) OTT action sequences. I've read interviews where people involved have said that the action is okay and canonical because it says in the stories that Holmes was a boxer/fencer/martial artist etc.

This is true but you cannot take one line from the stories and use it as a blank cheque to do whatever you like. We have to accept that we are going to get Hollywood's reinvention of Holmes despite all their protestations that they've gone back to the source material. Perhaps they have but they have chosen to ignore what doesn't suit them. Another blogger summed up my feelings when they said "we don't need reinvention we need rediscovery".

On the plus side however there is the obvious fact that this film will generate significant interest in Sherlock Holmes that extends far beyond Sherlockian Societies. If (and it's a big 'if') this film inspires people to pick up the books and discover the true Holmes then I will applaud it. I have to admit that it was Basil Rathbone's 'The Scarlet Claw' that got me into Holmes and I freely admit that it was hardly a canonical piece of cinema.

So, to sum up, I think this film will be fun and enjoyable but whether it will really be a Sherlock Holmes film remains to be seen.

Comments

Popular Posts