I need to write something....

As some of you will know, I am the author of four books and several articles in the Sherlockian/Doylean field. However, this blog aside, I've been resting on my laurels somewhat of late.

I'm led to believe that an article I wrote at the beginning of the year will be published in December's Sherlock Holmes Journal. If that proves to be the case it will be the last article in the pipeline. I have nothing else in progress.
Hmm. Blog or journal?

The funny thing is that when I get an idea I am too keen to get it out there so a lot of what I dream up finds its way directly onto this blog. Some of the items I've written here could have quite easily, with perhaps a little extra work, been worthy of publication in a journal.

I guess I'm just too impatient for feedback and perhaps I enjoy the fact that I get to decide what is published on my own blog rather than having my work in the hands of a journal's editor.

It's clearly time to put a little less effort into blog posts and a little more into journal-worthy material.



Written by Alistair Duncan
Buy my books here

Comments

  1. Aside from your personal schedule, I honestly do not see why you can't do both. You can publish on the web your ideas in 500-1000 word form and get immediate feedback. If the idea's a good one you can expand it to article length, send it out to various publications and wait three months to a year for it to see print. You come up with interesting posts, sometimes tied to recent events, that not be worth expanding in to a magazine article but is certainly worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I LOVE your "Alistair Duncan at the crossroads" picture - the setting sun in the background is the cherry on top!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts