Lack of recognition

Some readers of this blog (especially if you've read "Close to Holmes" or "The Norwood Author") will know that I was responsible for a South Norwood pub erecting a display marking Arthur Conan Doyle's residency in the area. I have just noticed a sign that greets people as they emerge from the station.  It commemorates William Stanley.



Now I realise that Stanley did a lot for the area, in fact I wrote a little about it in my latest book "The Norwood Author", but Conan Doyle should be mentioned also. Stanley means little to anyone outside South Norwood (and probably little to many who live there) whereas people the world over have heard of Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'm not suggesting that Stanley be overlooked but Conan Doyle, if mentioned correctly, could do something for the are economically.

Comments

Popular Posts